above: Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde
Fashion designers have their muses, often lithe, young society women who inspire collections and act as label ambassadors. In an analogous sense, I have my own personal "style muses": figures who have left an indelible impression on the way I dress. Here's a list of my top five.
1. My mother in the 70s: She wasn't afraid of splashy print dresses and scarlet red trench coats. My sister and I raided her closet in high school, when we were both mad for vintage.
2. Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde: I like to think that my winter berets are reminiscent of the ones she wore in the movie.
3. Catherine Deneuve: From The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, where she stole my heart in her early 60s dresses and matching hair ribbons to her present day fabulous YSL.
4. Tilda Swinton: Tilda Swinton can be a bit of a chameleon as an actress (c.f. Orlando and Female Perversions). Her wardrobe involves labels that fashion insiders love. A true risk taker.
5. Sofia Coppola: She may not be a conventional beauty, but Sofia has perfected a "bobo" subtly luxurious style that makes a girl want to buy a closet of ballet flats and knee length skirts.
Here's what some stylish Twitter people had to say about the matter:
@FriendlyMonster: Bjork. She's constantly pushing the envelope and not afraid to wear what she wants, even when it's more than ridiculous.
@fashion_fille: emannuelle alt, alexa chung, mka, rumi, gala, karla
@_Lavida_: a few personal style muses for me-Marlene Dietrich, Debbie Harry, Madonna in the 80s, Gwen Stefani....
@ten10things: Kate Moss, Nicole Ritchie and Lauren Hutton (I like that she's in her '60's, yet still uber hip).
@fairykikka: Emmanuelle Alt, Jane Birkin, Erin Wasson, Nicole Richie..
@Kathy_Writer: My style muses to-date: Many! Audrey Hepburn, Jaclyn Smith (hair); Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Kate Moss, Lucy Liu...
@Kathy_Writer: And how could I leave out Alexa Chung and Natalie Portman as my fashion muses?
@BradshawsCloset: Style muses: Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Bette Davis
@DFTVYP: Anna Karina and Jane Birkin... and Diane Keaton circa "Annie Hall"
@wicked_halo: style muses on a nutshell: Debbie Harry, Cate Blanchett, Audrey Hepburn, Karen O.
@juicyincouture: Victoria Beckham, Rachel Zoe etc
@GauriPendse: My fashion muse these days is Rachel Bilson. She has such an effortless and classy style.
@clutch_22: Don't forget Becki Newton, or should I say her character, Amanda from Ugly Betty. Love!
I'm thinking about making these "Twitterviews," a part of the regular lineup. If you'd like to participate in the future, please follow me here: http://twitter.com/dreamsequins!
And you? Who are your personal style muses?